Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Save an Avocado



I love avocados.
  • alone with a sprinkle of sea salt
  • smashed onto a piece of crusty toast and topped with a sprinkle of sea salt and some hemp nuts
  • diced and added to any kind of salad
  • guacamole
  • with eggs
I can find an excuse almost everyday to eat avocado. Luckily they have been shown to be a healthy addition to a meal, with lots of fibre and healthy fat. I usually limit myself to just half and keep the other half, pit in situ, in the fridge. It doesn't seem to matter if I coat the leftover half with lemon juice, cover it with plastic wrap or just toss it on a shelf untreated. It always turns brown on the exposed flesh, Of course that doesn't slow me down - I just eat it as is, or if it has been more than one day and it's particularly dark, I just trim that part off with a sharp knife. 

Now there's NEW INFORMATION about storing leftover avocados. 

Dice half a small onion and place in a bowl. Place the avocado on top of the diced onions, skin down, cover with plastic wrap and pop into the fridge. Overnight, two or three days...the avocado will stay a beautiful pristine green colour (assuming it was a pristine green colour to start with - this method does not perform miracles!)

Here's my avocado two days later:


Woohoo!

This information about leftover avocado storage came via nutritionist Rosie Schwartz

No comments:

Post a Comment