Tuesday, December 19, 2017

I Am a Truck

I Am A Truck

I Am A Truck
Michelle Winters

I Am A Truck by Canadian writer Michelle Winters is a slim volume and a quick and charming read. I was drawn to both the intriguing title and the fact that I Am A Truck was short-listed for the 2017 Giller Prize, my intention being to read all 5 of the shortlisted books. 

I was drawn in from the first page and instantly fell in love with married Acadians Agathe and Réjean and car salesman Martin Bureau. Other characters are equally charming and also quirky enough to hold the reader's interest.

The author's writing is crisp, moving the story ahead briskly. She has fun with the tension between English and French, such a Canadian phenomenon, often using a fractured combination of both - Franglais - all without any translation, which in any case is not really needed for anyone with the least knowledge of French. Anyone who loves language will enjoy Winters' writing.

E.g. "C'est ben son lunch. Y'avait laissé dans son truck."

After connecting the cables to jump a battery: "Bon. Try-le."

"C'est un town full of losers."  

Another fascinating character in the novel is music: specifically Acadian folk music vs. rock and roll. 

I don't really want to give away the plot. Just know that there are a few surprises awaiting. Pick up this little book and enjoy!  
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment