Saturday, March 24, 2018

The Road in March

Luckily I've been able to get out on my favourite road early this spring.


It feels quite different at this time of year.


I've been trying out a new-to-me app, ViewRanger on my phone and trying to figure out how it works. Other people seem to have mastered it....what's my problem? 


You can use the app to download maps, create your own route and make and record a track. The app will emit an alarm when you have gone off the route (memo to me: turn up the volume!) There's a Buddy Beacon whereby you or anyone you like (who you give a PIN to) can follow you along on your chosen route. Of course, the beacon works with cellular data, so I'm not sure how useful it will be on my walk in Wales, where I'll often be in remote areas with no cell coverage.


It's kind of fun but also frustrating to figure out how it all works. I've been watching video after video and trying to follow along, but I'm still tearing my hair out. For example, it took a while for me to understand the difference between a route (the way to go) and a track (the way that is being or has been taken) I hope that if I just use it often, it will begin to be intuitive. 

Meanwhile, cheers to a new season of walking!


No comments:

Post a Comment