Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Dolly Parton, Carol Burnett and Lewis Phillips

Separately they are awesome and together even more so: Dolly Parton and Carol Burnett. This video is dated but I still love watching it.



The young boy who plays the banjo is Lewis Phillips and here he is again, May, 2006.




Most of my friends will find it surprising because I normally don't have much interest in stars and modern music but there's something about Dolly Parton that I find fascinating and I'm not referring to the way she looks. It has more to do with what she has to say and what a canny businesswoman she is. Also, she's about my age. 😎

So I recently enjoyed the podcast Dolly Parton's America, a 9-part series of approximately 30-minute episodes which include conversations with Dolly herself and interviews with a huge range of people who admire or relate to her in some way - students, immigrants, other musicians, even visitors to Dollywood. It's hosted by Jad Abumrad, whose father struck up an unlikely but wonderful friendship with Dolly after Dolly's unfortunate car accident in Nashville a few years ago when she ended up in the hospital.

Here's the link if you're interested: Dolly Parton's America. I have the Podcast App on my phone, so that's how I listen to it. It's also available on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. And it's all free. 👍

No comments:

Post a Comment