Sunday, March 15, 2020

Book Haul

On Friday afternoon I had the sudden premonition that my local library would close due to uncertainty around Coronavirus. This was just after I learned that libraries in the nearby communities of Markham, Oakville and Mississauga were closing. So out I rushed around 4:30 pm, hoping against hope that the library would still be open and, thankfully, it was.

I scooped up some books from my "For Later" virtual library shelf and picked up one on my hold shelf, the April selection for the book club, so that was a wonderful bonus!

Just as I got home at 5:00 I saw on Twitter that, indeed, the library would close at 6 pm for at least 3 weeks, a tragedy in my life!

Here's my haul:

This stack includes 2 cookbooks on the right and does not include the Tom Clancy book I grabbed for Don off the Quick Read shelf - I figured, if the library closed, he'd have more than the 1-week limit to read it.

I should admit right now that I likely won't read all these novels. I often pick one up and put it down, finding it not to my liking, so it's good to have some choice available. I find no shame in not reading a book - life's too short and there are too many other books.

I'm presently reading Patti Callahan's Becoming Mrs. Lewis but looking forward to Last Friends,  the last in Jane Gardam's "Old Filth" Trilogy, another Richard Russo book - I really love his writing - and another new novel from William Kent Krueger, whose past books I've also liked. 



  

There are also many novels on my Kobo that I've bought over the last few years when I find them on sale. I'll save those for travel. At home, I absolutely prefer a book in my hand. 

Finally, I've started but haven't finished the audio version of Michelle Obama's Becoming so will make an effort to listen to that over the next few weeks of no-visits-to-the-library. 😞

HaHa!! While verybody else was in the grocery store stocking up on essentials I was running in desperation to the library. 



No comments:

Post a Comment