Tuesday, May 25, 2021

The Island Project: Emma Massingale


Emma Massingale is a UK professional horse-trainer, specializing in liberty training and she's also a self-proclaimed lover of adventure and wild places. 

Emma has just recently released an hour-long film documenting her journey to a remote island off the coast of Connemara in Ireland with 6 horses, two of them untrained, and her camping gear.

She says:

Alone on an island with just my Ponies for company - Over the years I have started many young horses but I've always wondered if I didn't have any tools such as a halter, lead rope, saddle or round pen would it be possible? 

I found an island off the west coast of Ireland that had everything the ponies needed to live without needing me - they had water and food aplenty so the decision whether or not to interact with me would be based purely on a relationship, not through necessity.

I took two untrained Connemara Ponies and survived alone on a 70-acre island while trying to start these ponies without any tack or fences I took with me four of my trained Connemaras and they were the key to communicating with the new boys! 

Now, if that wasn't hard enough, I thought, as I'm on an island, it would be fun to go all Bear Grylls and catch my food as well! I took just rice and for a month foraged and fished for my one meal per day...oh and filmed the whole adventure for your viewing pleasure! I hope you enjoy sharing my time on the island. Emx

If you would like to follow more please find me on all the usual Social Media Channels @EmmaMassingale

If you're looking for an alternative to Netflix and love horses, adventure and stunning views of coastal Ireland, you might really enjoy this film. Full disclosure, there are pop-up ads, but for the most part, they're either fairly short or you are offered the option to skip some of them. All worth it for this wonderful film.

The Island Project: Emma Massingale





No comments:

Post a Comment