Thursday, June 28, 2018

Walking Offa's Dyke Path: Hay-on-Wye to Kington to Knighton to Brompton Crossing

The rain started yesterday on my rest day and continued pretty much all of this day too. No wonder the vegetation is so lush! If my feet had gotten much wetter though, they might have started sending out roots. I re-discovered how inconvenient rain is for picture-taking and map-reading. 





On Sunday morning, May 27,  I woke up early in Knighton, with plans to leave early since the day was going to be difficult and long. However, I was in the throes of a nagging head cold and then I heard thunder. The weather forecast did not look good - more thunderstorms throughout the day - so I decided to skip the walk 😞

Luckily I was able to get a ride with my suitcase by taxi to the next B and B where the hosts were a little confounded by my early arrival since they had plans to attend a Christening in the afternoon. However, we all adapted in true Canadian fashion. They dropped me off at Mellington Hall, a conference centre/castle/great hall/resort/etc. where I spent a cosy, dry afternoon watching one thunderstorm after the next come rolling through. 

The three walkers who arrived at the B and B later that afternoon (1) and evening (2) told us of a very difficult (even without bad weather) and scary walk in heavy rain, thunder and lightning. And I was grateful for an unplanned but well-timed rest day.



No comments:

Post a Comment