Thursday, July 5, 2018

Walking Offa's Dyke Path: Buttington Bridge to Llanymynech to Craignant


The video cut short the photo of the room I had at the Dolphin Inn in Llanymynech so here it is:



























The Dolphin Inn was more a pub than a hotel. The bed by the window was not made up. I'm pretty sure I was the only overnight guest that night although the pub/restaurant was well-attended that evening. I had maybe the best hamburger I've ever had for dinner - a huge patty of chopped steak - so tender - with so many condiments etc I had to use a fork. Delicious!

John, the host, let me know that if I wanted a cooked breakfast (I didn't) that he would arrive at 9 in the morning to cook it for me. Otherwise, the cafe across the street would open at 8 and they would give me breakfast.

But the next morning I woke up early and knowing that it was going to be a hot day with many kilometres in front of me, I decided I could just eat an orange and fruit/nut bar I had in my knapsack and leave when I wanted. 

Unfortunately, the key that I was given the night before to get back into the Inn if I had decided to go out (I didn't) wouldn't work in the locked door on the way out at 7:15 am. The only other door was the one in front that pub visitors use and it was just a double door that swung open and was closed/locked by means of an iron bar across the inside. So I lifted the bar and went out, but the double doors wouldn't stay shut. So I dragged a bar stool over and carefully wedged it against the inside of the doors as well as I could so the doors would look closed. Crossed my fingers and set out for my day. 



I was supposed to phone my host for tonight from the Oswestry Racecourse area because there was no service in the pickup point, Craignant Car Park. I spoke to Mr. Riv Carter and he sounded quite charming and welcoming. When I got to Craignant, I, unfortunately, didn't realize I had arrived (missed the sign for the carpark) and walked another 20 minutes uphill before turning around and walking that 20 minutes back down again and finding the car park. There was a car in the car park, but nobody waved or got out to call me and it looked locked and closed - no windows open or anything, so I never bothered to peek inside, thinking it was somebody who had left it there to go off on a walk. Bad move on my part because an hour later, as I was starting to worry about where Mr. Carter was, I finally decided to look in the window of that car and there he was! Lying back in the driver's seat, mouth open, sound asleep!

Anyway, I knocked and introduced myself and we were soon on our way to Fron Frys, his converted barn home. Riv's wife had died about 17 years ago, not long after they finished the conversion  and one of his friends had suggested that he use the space, too large for just one person, as a B and B. He's in his 80's now and does this all by himself, finding it keeps him busy and at the same time, allows him to socialize. 


Fron Frys is built on a hillside and looks over a beautiful valley. The sunroom built onto the front of the house was the perfect spot to spend the evening chatting with Riv. He made me eggs on toast that was just the ticket for reviving my energy.





My bedroom was completely charming and comfortable, with windows on 3 sides and views of greenery but lots of privacy. The bathroom down the hall had a huge bathtub which was my first destination upon arrival ;)

































No comments:

Post a Comment